Archives: August 2014
Well, I am still with child! Didn’t think I would last 5 days after Monday’s checkup and finding out I was already 3 cm. But here I am :) I suppose I am happy that Cru is still fattening up inside me and also relieved that my mom and doctor will most likely both be back from vacation by the time this baby decides to make his entrance into the world. I’m not gonna lie though, this current heat wave is all sorts of miserable when you feel like you are about to pop. My ankles you guys….I’ve never seen them so swollen. I’m sure this summer has been a rough one on pregnancy bodies everywhere! But I keep reminding myself that we are SO close.
This perfect chambray maternity shirt by Isabella Oliver is pretty amazing. It’s designed to drape effortlessly over a bump (a very large bump in this case) but it’s also pretty structured everywhere else. What I love about Isabella Oliver is the quality in fabric and the tailored fit. They know what they are doing in maternity wear!
And this beautiful cotton cord bag is hand made by my friend Aaron of Seapod Collective. It’s the perfect everyday carry-all….but also would make for a great beach bag. (I’m actually using it as my hospital bag too, which is packed and ready to go!) Aaron also makes some great cord baskets as well! Check out his shop here.
Preparing for a new baby can be overwhelming. There are so many different products available out there, it’s hard to know what you will actually need and use. After having baby number 1, I learned a lot! I bought things that I never used, and didn’t buy enough of things that I used all the time! I thought it might be helpful for some new momma’s, and even some experienced ones, to create a checklist of sorts. Below are some of the basics that you will want to have for the first six weeks with your new baby (and beyond!) Products I have grown to love, and new products I will be using for baby #2!
1. Bassinet – Rylee slept in a bassinet beside our bed for about the first 3 months. We used a larger wicker bassinet from Pottery Barn that was handed down to us….but I really love this simple understated folding bassinet by Cariboo. The moses basket is another great option for when they are tiny.
2. Crib – Of course, you will need a crib. As well as a crib mattress, a waterproof mattress pad and bedding. This Oeuf Classic Crib has always been a favorite of mine. Fortunately, I was able to save a pretty penny here because my handy dad just finished building Rylee her own “big girl bed” and also did a matching crib for Cru. My splurge went to linen bedding from Restoration Hardware.
3. Baby Seat / Bouncer – I found this really helpful in getting things done around the house or while working on the computer. I would strap Rylee in and she would usually fall asleep to the subtle vibration, or if nothing else, just be soothed by the motion. Pictured is the Nuna Leaf which I will be using for Cru. It was designed to mimic a falling leaf and gently sways from side to side with a light push. It is noise-free and motor-free.
5. Bath Tub – I love this PUJ infant tub. It’s simple to set up, fits perfectly in your sink, and can store flat on a hook behind your door.
7. Nightlight – I was gifted this Porcelain Owl Nightlight and I am in love with it :) It’s nice to have just a tiny bit of light during all of those midnight wake up calls.
8. Swaddling Blankets – I used these all the time in the beginning. I’d recommend having at least 4-5. My favorite are these cotton muslin ones by Aden + Anais.
9. Swaddle Pod or Wrap – These things saved us when Rylee was an infant! She was a wiggle worm and this was the only thing we found that kept her hands tucked in and away from her face at night. Pictured is what I recommend: Organic Cotton Summer Infant SwaddleMe . We also used the SwaddlePod.
10. Mobile – I initially got a mobile for the nursery just for the sheer cuteness factor, but they really do entertain baby while he/she is getting changed. This Sheep Herd Mobile is super cute.
11. White Noise Machine – This Sleep Sheep was another life saver early on. A sound box is tucked inside with 4 soothing sounds to lull your baby to sleep.
12. Pacifiers – …or as we call them “binkie’s”. Rylee always used the Philips Avent Soothie Pacifiers. But I recently discovered the Natursutten ‘Small’ Natural Rubber Orthodontic Pacifier. It’s made of all-natural rubber and is specifically designed to gently touch baby’s nose so it more closely mimics breastfeeding. It also matches baby’s natural mouth movements to promote healthy orthodontic development.
13. Onesie’s / Overalls – Lots and lots of them. Simple is better. I preferred the ones that buttoned down the legs for easy diaper changes. Pictured is the Union Suit by Goat-Milk.
14. Booties – Infant shoes are pretty over-rated. All they really wear for the first 6 weeks are socks or knit booties (find a pair that are snug around the ankle and don’t fall off all the time).
15. Take Me Home Set – I love this sweet organic cotton thermal blanket and hat set by Little Merry Fellows.
16. Carseat – Of course, you will need a carseat. Pictured is my favorite Pipa infant carseat by Dutch brand Nuna.
17. Stroller – A stroller is one of those items worth spending a little bit of money on. You will get more use out of it than almost any other item you buy for your baby and you want it to stand the test of time. I love the design and functionality of the Stokke Xplory. This is the stroller I will be using for Cru….along with the riding board for Rylee to tag along.
19. Washable Breast Pads – You’ll want a handful of these! Keeping those embarrassing leaks at bay! I recommend these by Boob.
20. Nursing Pillow – These help keep your arms and baby comfortable during feedings. Pictured is the gray minky pillow by Nursing Pillow.
21. Nursing Bra – I’d suggest investing in 2 of these. If you plan on breastfeeding your baby, this bra will be replaced by your “cute” ones for everyday use. Fortunately, Boob Design has a few pretty cute nursing bra options, like this Dotted “Fast Food” bra. (such a fitting name too!)
22. Burp Clothes – Just get a lot! And bring them everywhere :) Featured are SwaddleDesigns Baby Burpies
23. Breast Pump – Pictured: Medela Freestyle Hands-Free Double Electric Breast Pump. I was still working at an office outside of my home for the first 6 months after having Rylee. I used a Medela breast pump everyday. It’s fast and efficient, and allows you to be hands-free! It’s even useful for when you are at home and need to be multi-tasking while pumping. Just purchase a pumping bra along with it and you are good to go.
24. Diaper Bag – I searched and searched for a cute diaper bag before having Rylee and had the hardest time finding anything I liked. I ended up with a really simple one….but now have come to the conclusion that really any large tote with pockets will work just fine. A waterproof inside is nice, but not totally necessary. I’d say just find a bag you really love that is large enough to fit all of your baby essentials, and use that! I am a big fan of all of the Cleobella totes, and use one myself as a “diaper bag”.
25. Diapers – an obvious one you are likely not to skip over….but I recommend Honest Diapers. They have a snug fit and great absorbency…and really cute designs on top of it!
27. Diaper Wipes – Recommended: Water Wipes
Hope these suggestions help some of you in preparing for baby! xx
These just might go down in history as my favorite photos ever. I can’t put into words how special they are to me. They are pictures I will look back on when I’m 80 and probably shed a few tears over….just as I did the first time I saw them. I’m not one to generally get down to my skivvies in photos, but these felt natural, intimate, and real. Somehow, these images captured Rylee’s personality to a tee….her spunk, her sensitivity, her goofiness, and her infectious laughter. I’ll never be able to fully express the love that I have for this girl of mine….but these photos are about as close as it gets. And not only my love for her, but my love for her baby brother….this precious life growing in my belly that we get to meet so very soon.
Some of my favorite (and gosh darn talented!) girlfriends: Rachel from Studio Castillero, Tori from Sitting In A Tree, Rachael from Siren Floral Co. and Erica from 10.11 Makeup, joined forces and came up with the genius concept of “Fox Sessions” – mini photo sessions capturing the beauty & strength of women. These sessions can be boudoir, they can be maternity, they can really be anything you want as long as they are in celebration of YOU. I am so grateful for the opportunity to take part in this experience and to have these photos to cherish forever. You can keep up with them on instagram to learn more about the upcoming dates and cities in which they will be shooting!
These photos are from a shoot I did alongside Taryn Kent for Reissued. Reissued is a curated social marketplace app to buy and sell vintage, one-of-a-kind, handmade and hard to find items. You can download the app here. The dress I am wearing is from Moonstone Vintage. Just search @moonstone on Reissued to view the shop. So many pretty one-of-a-kind dresses! The snake ring I am wearing is available at Omnia Vintage (search @omniavintage). And Rylee’s little harem pants are by Cleobella, available at Little Wanderers through Reissued.
Well, my due date keeps creeping closer you guys! Only 18 more days now! Although, my body is showing me all the signs that it will be sooner. After today’s checkup, I am already 3cm dilated and 75% effaced. Which basically means, he could come any day now! I was induced a week early with Rylee, so the idea of going into labor naturally is a little scary to me. Especially knowing how quickly she came, and how they always say your second is even quicker! I could do without a dramatic ‘birth in the backseat of a car’ story! BUT, that’s just me over thinking everything…..I’m sure it will be just fine. Let’s go baby boy!